Posts for: May, 2020
Tooth pain can change your life. You can't eat, sleep, or focus on work. At Hoffmaster Dental in York, PA, your dentist, Dr. Robert Hoffmaster, asks all his patients to contact him right away when teeth hurt. After all, the faster you receive treatment, the better your results will be.
Causes of tooth pain
It could be minor, or it could be serious—realize that a toothache is not normal. Possible causes include:
- Oral trauma resulting in a cracked, chipped, displaced, or knocked-out tooth
- Tooth decay
- Dental abscess, or infection
- Thinned tooth enamel, resulting in tooth sensitivity to heat, cold, sugar, or pressure
- Recessed gum tissue and exposed tooth roots
- Defective filling or crown
- Broken orthodontic appliance
- Teeth clenching or grinding, resulting in thin and cracked enamel
- Poor dental bite
- TMJ, or jaw joint dysfunction
- Impacted wisdom teeth
Getting the help you need
Never hesitate to contact your dentist in his York, PA, office. Dr. Hoffmaster will examine your mouth to determine why you have dental pain. During this time, he will also take X-rays and ask you about your symptoms.
As warranted, he might then offer some of the following solutions:
- White fillings to restore decay
- Root canal therapy to remove the diseased interior pulp, seal the tooth, and crown it to preserve its appearance, strength, and function
- Porcelain crowns and veneers to repair damaged tooth enamel
- Tooth replacement with fixed bridgework, a partial denture or state of the art dental implant
Also, Dr. Hoffmaster and his team are always available for emergency situations, such as a knocked-out tooth, oral lacerations, lost fillings, broken archwire, foreign material caught between teeth and crowns, or other needs that cannot wait.
Immediate first aid for dental pain includes:
- A cold cloth to the jaw
- Over-the-counter analgesic medications, such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen
- A saltwater rinse in the case of dental drainage
Medical News Today reports that most tooth pain worsens at night simply because people are lying in bed with increased circulation to the head and face. Try raising your head on pillows to find some relief.
Your dental pain is important to us
At Hoffmaster Dental in York, PA, your dentist, Dr. Robert Hoffmaster, and his team continue emergency dental care in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. Contact us (717) 846-9428 for a quick response and appointment as needed.